Can Parnate help ANXIETY?
P***@gmail.com
2007-07-06 04:48:24 UTC
I have compared the maoi drugs Nardil and Parnate.
I take Nardil with wonderful results. I have Social Anxiety,Panic and
atypical-depression/"neurotic depression".
My doctor is pretty sure my anxiety is a GABA release issue (Nardil
enhances GABA)

Parnate seems like it was made for people that just can't get off the
floor. I have the depression like, im able to function...just not at
full capacity and like a constant dark cloud of low mood and -
JITTERINESS-...this is why nardil is helping my inhibitions....
This is why Neurontin helped too I believe.
I wanna stick with the nardil for some time, because its working
wonders.

I recommended my mom check out Parnate, she has the kind of depression
where she has a high paying job, but just spends all of her free time
in bed.
I think PARNATE could possible help her depressive syndrome in this
fashion??
What do you think? She does not have anxiety at all.

I dunno.....
with all of my -SEVERE- anxiety issues would me taking -Parnate- just
be
asking for a panic attack and or stroke in pill form?,lol
Or does it have some kind of anti-anxiety effect at all???

PS..
I heard adding a low dose TCA to Nardil
can help with chronic headaches. Should I give this a try?
Moop
2007-07-06 05:25:41 UTC
I like Trazadone, Clomipramine,and Mirtazapine. But it's hard to
recommend non-reversible MAOIs, as they interact with foods. I would
suggest a reversable MAOI. Moclobemide is good.
Nom dePlume
2007-07-07 08:39:54 UTC
Post by P***@gmail.com
[...]
Many medications might work for her. What she really needs to do is go see a
psychiatrist to discuss them. From what you say, there is no obvious reason
to prefer Parnate to anything else, and Parnate has some significant
drawbacks.
Post by P***@gmail.com
I dunno.....
with all of my -SEVERE- anxiety issues would me taking -Parnate- just
be
asking for a panic attack and or stroke in pill form?,lol
Or does it have some kind of anti-anxiety effect at all???
Parnate is officially for "Major Depressive Episode without Melancholia",
while Nardil is for "Depression (especially Atypical, Non-endogenous,
Neurotic), with anxiety, phobia, or hypochondria; Depression (Endogenous,
less evidence of usefulness)."
Post by P***@gmail.com
PS..
I heard adding a low dose TCA to Nardil
can help with chronic headaches. Should I give this a try?
What you *should* do is talk to your doctor. You need to be cautious about
drug interactions when you are taking Nardil.
--
Nom dePlume, Ph.D.
Why, yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist.

Guide to Medications for Mental Illness:
http://www.mentalmeds.org

=====